Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tapping For Kids (EFT for Kids)

Image by Tania Franco

It is important to give kids options that can help them reduce stress and manage uncomfortable emotions. I meet many adults who have limited self care resources and because of this they now have a hard time managing emotions and stress. By teaching children techniques to address uncomfortable feelings early on we are giving them valuable tools they will be able to use into adulthood.

Tapping is a great way to teach children how to practice self care. In a nut shell, when we have an uncomfortable emotion it is believed in ancient philosophies that our life energy (chi) is disrupted, by tapping on acupressure points while thinking of the event/feeling that caused it, we allow chi to return to it's full flow.

The WHO, World Health Organization, has recommended acupuncture for over 60 different ailments. Acupressure is similar to acupuncture except that you apply pressure or tap with your fingertips on the energy points on your body instead of placing tiny needles in them.

I have made diaphragmatic breathing, yoga, meditation and tapping part of our family life.I practice tapping differently with my 5 year old then I would with adults but it is still very effective in reducing stress and easing strong emotions.

The following is how I practice tapping with my son:

I gently tap with my middle and index finger, approximately 5 taps on the following points (they are outlined in the image above with red hearts).
  • Karate chop (side of hand by the pinky finger)
  •  Inside corner of eyebrow, near the nose
  • Outer edge of eyebrow
  • Cheekbone
  • Under nose
  • Chin
  • Collarbone
  • Under arm
  • Ribs
  • Tap 5 fingertips of one or both hands
  • Karate chop
I will tap on my son or he will tap on himself as I guide him before going to bed, while cuddling and watching TV, after he's had a melt down, lately right before a melt down which helps relax him.

Giving children different ways to manage their emotions sets them up to be empowered beings now but also helps develop happier adults.

Tania Franco

1 comment: