Saturday, May 4, 2013

Easy Almond Flour Bread Recipe

Image by Tania Franco


I like to read and try to be up to date with nutrition, health, and wellness field. I will admit that sometimes my actions are not congruent with what I know to be health conscious choices, but I have decided to try and choose healthier options for myself and for my family this year by cooking more at home, adding veggies to everything, creating healthier versions of foods we enjoy, and using self care products with fewer chemicals, to name a few things.

A few weeks ago I decided to look up a flourless bread recipe. I usually write in a search engine: ‘easy _____ recipe’, and select among the options that come up that have few ingredients and good ratings. I ran into an almond meal bread recipe and gave it a shot. I was hoping it tasted like regular whole grain bread and when everything was said and done it did and it was delicious!

I have made it twice and the whole family loves it. I was worried my husband would not like it but he gave it a 10 on a 0-10 scale which he’s only given to a handful of recipes at the most.

Easy Almond Flour Bread Recipe:

Preheat oven at 350 degrees
2 cups of almond flour or almond meal
2 Tbsp. sugar or the equivalent in Stevia or Xylitol
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. of salt (I would add less than a teaspoon or even skip it)
5 eggs (whisked)
½ cup of coconut milk
1/3 cup of oil (I used olive oil)

I mixed the dry ingredients in a batter bowl, in a separate bowl mixed the wet ingredients and then mixed them together with a wooden spoon. I placed the batter in a greased bread loaf pan and put in the oven. It took 40 minutes to bake in my oven but the recipe said it should take about 20min. Keep a watchful eye to see how long it takes to bake in your oven. Once its ready, wait for it to cool down before slicing it. I recommend that you refrigerate it so it lasts longer.

I made it again adding chia seeds, switching the coconut milk for half and half and skipped the salt. We happily ate the whole loaf this week. I ate it with nut butter, my son had it in sandwiches and my husband had it with butter.

Here is another really easy to make almond bread recipe, I could almost say that I may like it even better. Our daily lifestyle choices impact our health greatly. We are empowered in each moment. You can begin where you are and remember to celebrate your triumphs whether big or small.

- Tania

5 comments:

  1. I tried this exact recipe and the bread did not rise very high. Is it possible to double the recipe to make taller slices of bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,

      I would use all of the ingredients just like the recipe says but instead of 2 cups use 4 1/2 cups of almond meal, add 1tsp. of baking soda and make at 325 degrees for 55 minutes.

      This is another recipe that I am using to make taller slices of bread :

      http://practicingtheartofhappiness.blogspot.com/2013/05/healthy-lifestyle-choices-my-familys.html

      Let me know how it goes.
      Tania

      Delete
  2. There is no yeast in the recipe. Was the yeast forgotten, or is it more like a cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margie,
      This recipe is yeast free. You can add yeast and let us know how it turned out.
      Thanks,
      Tania

      Delete
  3. I really like this blog, It's always nice when you can not only be informed,but also get knowledge,from these type of blogs.

    healthy lifestyle & lifestyle design

    ReplyDelete