Monday, May 27, 2013

How to Make Homemade Deodorant

My Homemade Deodorant
Image by Tania Franco

Before having my son I worked at a Medical Institute in Mexico and was exposed to extensive health and wellness information. I learned the importance of using beauty products that were paraben, phtalate, sulfate and petrochemical free. I went perfume free and stopped lathering up in body lotion. I also went deodorant free most days and only wore it on certain occasions.

Once I got pregnant with my son I started using regular shampoos and deodorants. I did feel a bit of remorse since I knew it wasn't the healthiest of choices due to the countless chemicals in these products.

When my son was 2 years old I began to have allergies to many of these products. Parts of my skin would become itchy and suddenly I would have rashes. I changed my hair care products, moisturizer, body lotion and cosmetics. I began to use natural products. This ended the allergic reactions completely. I also made diet changes since nutrition is essential in any health issue. I will write more about this in another post.

One evening we were entertaining friends at our home and I was sharing about the allergic reactions I had had and how difficult it had been when I joked: "I almost began to make my own lotion". After saying that out loud I thought why don't I? The following day I began to research what I could begin to make. I had read some of these recipes before but had not considered making my own until now.

After reading thoroughly I realized I could begin making my own deodorant.

I have been using my home made deodorant for approximately 2 months and I am happy with the results. The deodorant was perfect from day one. I have been hiking in 90 degree weather and I smell great!

3 Ingredient Homemade Deodorant Recipe:

6 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
1/4 cup of Baking Soda
1/4 cup of Organic Cornstarch (Arrowroot is much more recommended)

I left the coconut oil out of the refrigerator for an hour so it was soft and easier to use. I put the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mixed them with a wooden spoon.
Afterwards I placed it in a glass container.

This is one way of creating healthier lifestyle choices.
-Tania Franco

No comments:

Post a Comment