Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happiness is an Art Form

Pacific Beach, San Diego Photo by Tania Franco


I read somewhere that being unhappy took the same amount of energy as being happy. I was completely dumbfounded. It was true. If that is the case, isn’t it better to use one’s energy towards feeling well?

I had spent so much energy in feeling dissatisfied with so many things in the past, that I felt like I had to start thinking for the first time how would contentment feel in my own body. How would I sense satisfaction? These concepts had always felt so abstract to me as if they were outside of me. I then realized that I would not know if I had achieved them if I was completely unaware of how they would feel or look when they manifested in my life. 

It was at that moment that I decided to focus my energy into feeling well and to be grateful for being alive and for all the blessings that were a part of my life.

That is how I started my happiness practice. This is how I began to feel appreciation for simple things like drinking a cup of coffee in complete silence or sharing a laugh with a good friend or having the opportunity to watch a hummingbird fly for a few seconds. 

As my appreciation for daily wonders grew, I began to feel more content and satisfied with my life. I began to notice and appreciate the bigger things that made my life whole, like having a deep connection with loved ones, being involved in activities that give my life meaning or having a lively inner life. Before, a lot of these things would go unnoticed.

I have dedicated much of my life to the pursuit of happiness and yes sometimes to explore the other end of its spectrum which would appear as unhappiness, but we will discuss this in detail in another time. I now believe that for the most part happiness is a choice. I want to share with you the myriad of options that can support you in achieving it. I truly do believe that creating and recognizing happiness is an art form.

Welcome to my blog.

- Tania Franco

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the invite !! looking forward to your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I have lots to publish!

      Delete
  2. Tania, couldn't agree with you more: Happiness is indeed a choice and linked inextricably with the ability to be mindful. By the way, the Camus quote is one of my all time favorites. I'm excited to see more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadia, Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I am really excited to share much more. And hope to hear more about what you think.

    The Camus quote is one of my all time favorites if not my favorite. It speaks to me on a deep level.

    Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete